Sunday, September 6, 2009

It's About Time

After more than ten frustrating years of coping with a "professionally" undiagnosed illness that I had correctly self-diagnosed for several years, I'm pleased to say that I have joined the ranks of the "lucky" ones—lucky, because although my now confirmed diagnosis is unpleasant (Sjögren Syndrome), at least I have a diagnosis. I've empowered myself to take control over how my health will be managed.
  • No longer will I employ a doctor who ignores my suggestions or treats me as if I've just arrived on his/her planet without a clue.
  • No longer will I listen to claims that my symptoms are manifestations of psychosomosis.
  • No longer will I assume that my records and test results are being properly handled and followed up.
  • No longer will I be prescribed drugs and subjected to painful injections to treat the symptom without searching for the cause.
  • No longer will I just take my doctor's highfaluting medical degree over my instincts when it comes to treatment.
It's about time.

No comments:

Post a Comment